Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Its mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking an Associate to join the Development Finance team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Associate provides programmatic, financial, budget and administrative support to the Development Finance team including the Vice President and technical staff.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Programmatic support:
- Provides administrative support to Vitas subsidiaries as required, including document routing, authentication by embassies, and travel.
- Collects, prepares and formats quarterly board books and related materials. Coordinates board member travel and meeting logistics. Drafts minutes for all meetings.
- Reviews Vitas Group bank accounts and confirms when payments are sent and received to subsidiaries. Works with bank to resolve issues or discrepancies.
- Assists marketing manager with preparation of annual reports, slide decks and promotional materials.
- Assists with event planning including field learning events, semiannual meetings with field staff, newsletters, and special events as requested.
- Reviews consultant and procurement agreements for DF or Vitas Group, for review by DF management and/or legal counsel. Shares with consultants and vendors, incorporates feedback and recommends further action.
- Ensures consultant work plans are on track, and deliverables on time, by working closely with consultants and DF point persons.
- Inputs changes into Salesforce to support business development efforts.
- Researches potential developments in financial inclusion, as requested.
- Actively contributes to Global Communities initiatives under area of responsibility. This includes active collaboration with other departments in Global Communities.
- Prepares and reviews payment of invoices from consultants, partners and vendors.
- Processes HQ based procurement requests for Global Communities and Vitas Group.
- Enters field and HQ Program Travel Reports (PTRs) and Expense Report Forms (ERFs).
- In collaboration with field and supervisor, gathers budget information and prepares, modifies formats and finalizes program budgets in Adaptive.
- Reviews department budgets and spending on monthly basis, and resolves any discrepancies.
- Trains colleagues on new procedures, technology applications and software.
- Organizes department wide events, including preparing agendas, conducting surveys, planning staff retreats and other meetings outside of the head office.
- Routes documents for signature.
- Conducts OFAC checks.
- Edits documents for readability, style, grammar and errors, upon request.
- Plans travel itineraries and arranges reservations for department employees and Vitas Group Management Committee members.
- Manages program files for the department, including uploading and tagging of documents in department library on SharePoint.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of one year of work experience in international development.
- At least one year of field experience in developing country or challenging environment preferred.
- Volunteer, fellowship or relevant internship considered experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
- Excellent communication skills. Fluency in English, written and oral.
- Proficiency in a second language, such as Arabic or French, a plus. Must be able to read and interpret documents. Superior writing and editing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task with minimum supervision in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Proven ability to use sound and accurate judgment to resolve non-routine problems within the work scope independently.
- Superior relationship-building skills. Able to effectively manage difficult or sensitive situations. Courteous and professional manner. Multicultural sensitivity.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain a calm and professional attitude under pressure or constantly shifting priorities.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10 percent of the time.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows-based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint.