Job profile Director NpM, Platform for Inclusive Finance
NpM is a member organization for Dutch investors in the inclusive finance sector, like development organizations, social investors and commercial banks. Together with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and our members, we are committed to expanding access to affordable financial services worldwide. We believe in a clear link between financial inclusion and development. Access to financial services offers people the possibility to improve their living standards, which in turn reduces inequality. Inclusive finance can result in poverty alleviation, job creation, food security, gender equality, and equitable growth.
It is our mission to increase the effectiveness of our members’ inclusive finance investments and activities (combined total commitments are EUR 4,5 billion). For this purpose, we promote effective partnerships to combine efforts, and complement expertise and objectives. In addition, we support our members’ in contributing to the realization of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030.
Strategy going forward
Over the past years NpM has been successful in becoming a solid and (inter)nationally well-known organization, representing the Dutch investors in Inclusive Finance. In addition to continuously addressing joint thematic areas for the members, and liaising with the right stakeholders, increased focus needs to be given to stronger cooperation with developing organizations. Creating strong links is important to facilitate collaboration between different actors in ‘the chain/ ecosystem’ to unlock increased (private) capital investments.
To consolidate and expand impact, NpM is looking for an energetic, ambitious, and entrepreneurial director to join an inspiring team based at their offices in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Position Role within the organisation
The Director of NpM is responsible for providing strategic leadership to the direction of NpM. Monitoring progress and evaluating results of policy plans and strategies by working with its board, team and members. Every year targets, milestones and priorities are worked out in an annual work plan.
The Director is the face of the organization in representing the Dutch Financial Inclusion sector on (inter)national level. In addition to the strategic and operational steering and guidance of the organization, you will be tasked with consolidating relationships with existing funders and attracting new financiers and other (new) stakeholders and development organizations in order to ensure the continuation of the organization.
Key areas of responsibility
1. Developing and realizing strategic policy of the organization • Signals relevant trends and developments for the organization and translates these into practical support and trajectories for the Dutch investors. • Provides leadership to both NpM and the wider Dutch Financial Inclusion sector. •
Positions NpM as an intermediary between the developing cooperation sector and private investors through extensive networking, representation, and advocacy at the highest levels. • Provides leadership and management to ensure that the mission and core values are put into practice.
2. Realizing agreed goals in line with the multi-annual plan (2017 – 2020) the field of knowledge management, being the linking pin and voice of the sector and liaising with the MoFA. Develops multi-year plans and annual budgets for approval by the Board and the members• Raises resources to build the capacity of NpM. • Does acquisition and attracts new and diverse funding. • Monitors the budget.
3. Consolidating and shaping the organizations’ future direction and success by leading the process to guide the next funding cycle. As funding from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) lasts until 31st December 2020, a new Business Plan 2021- 2024 needs to be prepared to start the conversation for renewed commitment from the MoFA.
4. Representing the organization • Represents the organization at diverse national and international events and opportunities. • Maintains and develops relationships with sector stakeholders, including the MoFA, private sector parties, financial institutes and funds, implementing development agencies, Dutch and international government agencies, knowledge institutes, donors, etc. • Ensures regular press outreach amongst which good representation in sector relevant expert communication channels.
5. Managing the organization • Ensures that the right team for the organization is in place. • Oversees the administrative organization, financial management, and human resources management and takes care of required reporting including annual accounts. • Is accountable and provides information and reports to the Board, the members and the MoFA.
NpM has a Board consisting of three people: Mark van Doesburgh (chair of the board), Jolanda Wakkerman (treasurer), Dirk Elsen.
Staff: 4 program managers, interns and/or volunteers; 4 thematic project related expert groups consisting of staff of the members. The current Director of NpM left the organization per 1 August. An interim-Director replaced her until a new Director is found.
NpM is looking for a passionate, ambitious and impact driven Director. In addition to strategic and operational management of the organization, the relationship management of existing funders, and raising of new funding for the different thematic trajectories is also an important area of attention. This requires a Director who has a can-do mentality and international scope and network, a strategic thinker who knows how to turn mission and vision into a concrete and successful operation. He/she is a strong networker that quickly connects and is experienced in financial inclusion and the Dutch and international development environment. He/she is highly capable of switching at the highest level and presenting him/herself at all levels.
• A strategic thinker, combining visionary purpose with operational granularity and strength, able to guide the organization through the next years strategic planning • An inspirational people manager able to guide personal development of staff.• Opportunity thinking-mentality • Experience (minimum 5 years) in business development, fundraising in the Dutch and international development
sector • Significant experience, knowledge and network within finance sector / impact investments • Communicates well with people of diverse backgrounds. • Knowledge and network within the financial inclusion sector in the Netherlands and international. • Experience working abroad in developing countries • Ability to multitask, set priorities, meet deadlines, travel and adjust to change • Academic background in economics, international business or international development • Multilingual capacity
In case you are interested in this position, you can reach out to:
M.H. Hamel • Partner Financial Assets
t: +31 (0) 20 2191565